Sunday, October 12, 2008

Delicious v. Magnolia - Part 1

It's a short part one, but that's what happens when you're waiting for your bookmarks to load from del.icio.us to ma.gnolia.

So far, I've enjoyed using del.icio.us. Easy, quick, fun to tag, impressed to see the network of SCILS598F08 expand, cool to have the linear or tag cloud options when you want to see what crops up most. Apparently, chocolate, movies, and books dominate my world. And all this time I thought it was the late great Joey Ramone... Maybe it's the commemorative CBGB chocobox from the Chocolate Bar, after all. But I digress -

Pretty it is not, though I enjoy the blue-toned theme very much. For pretty, you're going for ma.gnolia. Their idea of tile icons of the pages you bookmark is thoughtful - a lot like the visual representations of your books in librarything. Also, I like the idea that you can export from del.icio.us to ma.gnolia: anything that prevents me from having to manually re-enter 77 bookmarks is good. However, it's yet to be proven that this actually works, since none of my bookmarks have shown up yet. So, Part Deux! is a must.

Both sites impress me in that there seems to be ample help and a multitude of ways to use their services. I would probably use del.icio.us more given that I jumped on board there first. Should ma.gnola deliver on its import function, it would be a very acceptable and visually impressive second.

No comments: