Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Virtual Introductions Via del.icio.us

I like the idea of using del.icio.us to allow online classmates to virtually introduce themselves to one another. The process of adding or uploading individual bookmarks is accomplished in del.icio.us without much technical fuss, so it would certainly qualify as 'Week One' homework. The personal aspect of the task would augment the current introductory assignment of avatar creation and wiki/student page bio posting. It would also create basic 'talking points' and add to the sense of community in the group. It could highlight other kinds of collaborative projects, also.

One thing that's been cool to see is the kind of banter we're sharing on twitter. While I'm missing the easy social aspect of the on-campus class this semester, the tweets remind me that I'm not laboring in total isolation. We've done some virtual group activity and blog commenting, and that's gone very well, so I am optimistic that the 'social' part of 'social software' is there. I think the idea of bringing the del.icio.us assignment forward in the schedule would add to the idea of the class as a social community from the start.

No comments: