Saturday, October 11, 2008

Digg It? Eh, Not So Much.

Do I Digg it? I’m not sure.

Digg is, like Riffs, a site where you rate the content you see and it rises or falls in status based upon the ratings you award. In some ways, it can be useful, particularly if you are looking for new bites of information, news, animation, YouTube clips, etc. However, the organization of the site is so random that it is impossible not to become bogged down in irrelevant and unrelated information. I’d downrate the information I don’t need, but that hardly seems fair – it’s useful to someone, just not me.

That said, Digg has a far more user-friendly interface for this sort of thing than Reddit. Reddit’s organization of information seems far more more random, as well. So, of the two types of social bookmarking sites, Digg was a better fit for me in terms of making sense of what was going on.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Tara,

I've looked at Digg It a couple of times on Facebook, mostly out of curiosity. Based on my own forays and your review, I don't think I'm going to investigate further. I didn't set up an account, but I found Digg It to be pretty disorganized, which led to my getting bogged down in interesting, but useless info. Not the best use of my time.....